To provide an embeddable browser and HTML editor SDK.
Please read the FAQ before anything else. The current API set for embedding can be found here.
Please use the embedding newsgroup for general Questions & Answers. [netscape.public.mozilla.embedding]
Topics of Interest:
- Getting started
- Gecko Embedding Overview in html | In pdf - A brief description of what is involved.
- Creating XPCOM components - A comprehensive tutorial on how to write XPCOM components for Gecko. An essential primer if things like XPCOM, reference counting, IDL mean nothing at all to you.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Roll your own browser (w/ links to our manifest of files for a "basic browser" configuration)
- API Reference Based on FROZEN interfaces only.
- More on our API
- Overview of API
- Overriding parts of the UI
- editor/composer embedding
- Supported preferences for embedding purposes
- Binary Compatibility of interfaces across different compilers and compiler versions.
- Embedding SDK Specification
- Gecko Runtime Environment (GRE)
- listeners/progress/callback handling
- nsIObserver Topics
- Requirements Meta Bugs
- Examples of applications and projects that embed Gecko
- See the footprint project page for more info. Note that the footprint area can include data for the entire standalone Mozilla application. However, there is data there regarding PPEmbed (mac) and gtkEmbed (linux).
- Freezing Interfaces Information
- API review notes
- Embedding Interface Freeze Status
- How to mark an interface as FROZEN
- How to "revise" a frozen interface
- Profile Sharing
- There are several (profile related) issues when multiple instances of a Mozilla based applications try to access the same profile simultaneously. The Shared Profile Issues document details these issues.
- Presentations & Slideshows
- Slides from the FOSDEM 2002 presentation
- Slides from the Embedding Mozilla presentation at the 2001 O'Reilly Open Source conference.