|LOCATION:||Mountain View, California|
The Mozilla Project is one of the largest open-source software development projects in existence. Mozilla represents a user-base that is approaching 100 million people, paid and volunteer staff members, engineers paid by various employers to work on Mozilla, a volunteer population numbering in the thousands, a range of spin-off projects, and a set of companies using Mozilla technology to build products.
The Mozilla Project -- which includes the Foundation and its wholly owned
subsidiary the Mozilla Corporation -- demonstrates that the open source
development model is a vibrant addition to the traditional proprietary
The Mozilla Corporation operates an extraordinarily transparent product development process and engages a global community of volunteer developers and enthusiasts to create and promote adoption for the browser. By harnessing the brainpower and creativity of a broad community, Mozilla has sparked a whole new wave of competition and choice on the Internet. At the same time, Mozilla has been able to provide Firefox users with a customizable and secure way to surf the Web -- without the hassle of popup windows, adware and other nuisances.
|OVERVIEW AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Mozilla Foundation seeks an Executive Director with the passion to provide strategic leadership and vision for "an open Internet." He/She should be motivated by the Foundation's ability to connect people, technology and social possibilities.
The Mozilla community is made up of tens of millions of Firefox users, hundreds of thousands of contributors that are creating new technologies to ensure choice and promote innovation on the Internet. The Foundation with a current asset base of $35 million and the ability to leverage the work of Mozilla Corporation -- is poised and ready to move to the next level which will focus on keeping the Internet open and accessible.
- Serves as spokesperson for the organization and must be able to articulate and promote the Mozilla Foundation's vision and mission.
- Builds, motivates, and promotes a high quality staff.
- Provides strong and innovative leadership in an open source environment with hands-on experience in running an organization, and developing and implementing programs.
- Leads the long-range and strategic planning process of the Board of Directors, ensuring that benchmarks are established for measuring success and that the planning cycles recur as appropriate.
- Implements and evaluates the action plan based on the approved strategic goals and opportunities.
- A proven decision maker with the ability to set priorities, manage, and implement them.
- Develops, establishes and maintains strong relationships with Mozilla
Corporation and the Mozilla community.
- Creates and develops programs within the Foundation to achieve the overall mission for Mozilla.
- Develops strategic partnerships with appropriate organizations/people to advance the access and ease of the Internet.
- Creates and encourages a collegial and participatory work environment where trust, integrity and open communication are valued.
Community and Board Development
- Represents a strong cadre of volunteers, assuring their integration into the organization, culture, and leadership of the Foundation.
- Provide avenues for full and open communication and collaboration with the community at large and promote an awareness of the diverse and changing needs of the community.
- Initiates and encourages collaboration and cooperation among other organizations and leaders. Assists in building a shared vision of how to address and solve issues related to the Internet.
- Develops Board meeting agendas, in collaboration with the Board Chair, and regularly provides information to the Board on activities in relation to the mission and progress toward the strategic goals adopted by the Board.
- Provides information and recommendations to the Board for setting or revising the Foundation's goals and objectives, operating policies, strategic planning and grant making priorities.
- Ten years' senior management experience in either the not-for-profit or for-profit environments that are technology driven.
- Experience with open source environments is highly desirable.
- Ability to channel and synthesize expectations and needs of multiple constituencies including users, developers and volunteers.
- Should have an open and inclusive management style and be comfortable with working and resolving issues "in a fishbowl."
- Ability to manage personnel remotely.
- He/she should have a high level of comfort and passion for technology and a sense of the possibilities of the Internet.
- Experience in working with an international community of people and organizations.
- A highly regarded professional stature and credibility, coupled with strong leadership skills.
- Effective at leading and managing highly independent and self-motivated employees and volunteers.
- The ability to prioritize and tackle multiple tasks and see the "big picture" are key. Maturity and sound judgment are essential.
- Experience in setting strategic direction and driving it.
- Inspiring, creative and visionary about the Internet.
- Entrepreneurial style and spirit.
- Enjoys being in the company of technical people.
- Excellent communicator with all people at every level, a leader and bridge builder.
- Ability to work well under pressure and adapt easily to changing situations and priorities.
- Good judgment and consensus building skills.
||Bachelor's degree or the equivalent in experience is required.
||A base salary commensurate with experience plus attractive benefits.