You are currently viewing a snapshot of www.mozilla.org taken on April 21, 2008. Most of this content is
highly out of date (some pages haven't been updated since the project began in 1998) and exists for historical purposes only. If
there are any pages on this archive site that you think should be added back to www.mozilla.org, please file a bug.
What's New in Mozilla 1.6
This document outlines some of the new features implemented in Mozilla 1.6,
important bugfixes and any new problems. It is by no means a comprehensive list
of new features, fixes, or bugs. See the "rough changelog"
for a more comprehensive list of fixes.
- The Gecko rendering engine has received a lot of attention in this release cycle, leading to improvements in standards compliance and faster page load times than ever before.
- One of the most requested Mozilla Mail features, an option to separate the Recipient and Sender columns in the thread pane, has been implemented.
- Another frequently requested MailNews feature, a preference for placing the user's signature above the quoted text, has been added.
- "Remove from server after x days" has been implemented for POP3 mail accounts.
- vCard support has been added to Mozilla Mail.
- Mozilla 1.6 includes a new cross-platform NTLM authentication mechanism. This feature brings NTLM authentication to the non-Windows Mozilla users for the first time and also delivers more robust and featureful NTLM support to users of older Windows versions.
- Ask Jeeves searching has been added to Mozilla 1.6.
- "Translate Page" functionality has returned to this release of Mozilla.
- The View Source window now has reload functionality.
- Several security-related bugs were fixed in 1.6
- Chatzilla 0.9.48 has been merged, which adds RPL_ISUPPORT support, halfop mode support, and properly masks key and password dialogs.
- Many crash bugs have been fixed.
- One step closer to the kitchen sink, about:about has been implemented. Typing about:about in the address field will give the user a nice list of available about:s.
- The opacity implementation was completely revamped to properly change the opacity of all descendants as a group.
- CSS inheritance has been updated to work per CSS2.1 (computed values are inherited).
These are items that have been added to the Known Issues page
since the last milestone, although the bugs themselves may have existed previously.
- Mozilla 1.6 does not include Palm Sync support. Palm sync has returned in Mozilla 1.7 Alpha.
- File | Compact Folders for imap accounts now compacts all imap
folders in the account, and their offline stores, if any folders are configured
for offline use. Previously, this command just compacted the selected folder. To
compact just the selected folder, you should now use the folder context menu
command Compact this Folder. (Bug 230672)
- On non-Windows systems, pasting in Composer and HTML message compose
from the first character of the line can fail. (Bug 228688)