Lightning 0.3.1 is the latest release of our calendar extension for Mozilla Thunderbird®. We recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version.
- The timezones in Lightning 0.3.1 have been updated to include the Daylight Savings Time (summer time) changes passed by the U.S. legislature in 2005.
Release Date: February 19, 2007
Downloading and Installing
Mozilla.org provides Lightning for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X in a variety of languages. To get Lightning 0.3.1, download it here.
For builds for other systems and languages not provided, see the Contributed Builds section at the end of this document.
Lightning runs as an extension to either Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5.x or the upcoming Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR WINDOWS USERS:
Install the updated timezones for Windows.
Information on obtaining the updated timezones can be found in
Microsoft Knowledge Base article 928388.
Not updating your Windows timezones will result in unreliable and erroneous display and entry of time data! Be sure to do this!
IMPORTANT: If you have been using the old Calendar Extension, be sure to backup the ICS file that it put in your profile directory, and uninstall the Calendar Extension before installing Lightning. After you have installed Lightning, you can then import your old events and tasks from the backed up ICS file.
- Right-click (Control-click on Mac) the download link and choose "Save Link As..." to download and save the .XPI file to your your hard disk.
- In Mozilla Thunderbird, under the "Tools" menu, open the "Extensions Manager" (Thunderbird 1.5) or "Add-ons Manager" (Thunderbird 2.0).
- Click the "Install" button, locate and select the .XPI file you downloaded in step 1, and click "OK".
- Restart Mozilla Thunderbird.
This list covers some of the known issues with Lightning 0.3.1. Other important known problems in this release are listed on this page. Please read both lists before reporting any new bugs.
- Lightning 0.3.1 will attempt to guess your timezone on startup. As this is only a best guess, and many timezones have changed, you must manually set the timezone in Preferences/Options before entering data. Not doing so may cause events to appear at the wrong time.
- When installed in Thunderbird 1.5, Lightning can not read iMIP invitations sent from users of Apple iCal.app. However, this works correctly in Thunderbird 2.0. (bug 351997)
- All-day events expressed in UTC sometimes show up on the incorrect day in the Lightning agenda pane. (bug 353307)
- Lightning is not usable on Japanese versions of Windows with Thunderbird 1.5. (bug 330121)
Lightning with integrated Sun Java System Calendar Server (WCAP) support
Enhanced builds of Lightning with integrated WCAP support are available here. Note that unless you wish to use Lightning against a WCAP server, the regular vanilla builds of Lightning are probably what you are looking for. For more details about why this is being shipped separately, see this newsgroup posting.
Please refer to the Calendar:WCAP Guide for further information about the enhancements.
Other Resources and Links
The following resources contain useful information about Lightning:
Thanks to the hard work of our localization teams, Lightning 0.3.1 ships with the following locales pre-installed:
- Basque — Euskara
- Catalan — Català
- Czech — Čeština
- Danish — Dansk
- Dutch — Nederlands
- English (United States)
- French — Français
- German — Deutsch
- Hungarian — Magyar
- Italian — Italiano
- Mongolian — Монгол
- Polish — Polski
- Russian — Русский
- Slovak — Slovenský
- Slovenian — Slovensko
- Spanish (Spain) — Español (de España)
These are unofficial builds and may be configured differently than the official Mozilla.org builds. They may also be optimized and/or tested for specific platforms.
Solaris builds (contributed by Sun Microsystems)
- Lightning for Solaris x86 (MD5)
- Lightning for Solaris SPARC (MD5)
- Lightning/WCAP for Solaris x86 (MD5)
- Lightning/WCAP for Solaris SPARC (MD5)
Builds for platforms other than the trio officially offered by Mozilla.org can be found on the FTP site.Previous versions of the Release notes: 0.3 0.1