- NGLayout is the next-generation layout engine currently under development
for Netscape Navigator. Like the Navigator source, the source code for
the NGLayout engine will be freely available from mozilla.org under the standard
NPL license agreement. This technology will be integrated into the Mozilla
open-source browser as soon as it is ready later this year.
- The NGLayout engine was designed from the ground up to offer the following benefits:
- Very fast; really fast; as fast as possible
- Incremental reflow, including tables and integration with DOM
- Backward compatibility with Netscape Navigator 4.0;
- Support for HTML 4.0, including forms.
- Pagination, control over running matter
- High-performance rendering enhancements
- Double-buffered rendering on demand
- High-end graphic capabilities, including alpha blending
- Full HTML 3.x style support; limited HTML 4.x style support
- Full CSS implementation; limited CSS 2 support
- Compatible with previous Netscape navigator releases.
- Most important parts of W3C DOM Level 2
- Fully backward-compatible with Navigator 4.x and Internet Explorer
- Limited DTD support
- Extensible tag handling
- "WebWidget" API allows developers to embed NGLayout in their own custom applications.
- XPCom interface support allows for run-time extensions to the underlying system
- Portions of the UI are expressable as HTML
- Dynamic tag handling, making it possible to give layout and rendering behavior to your new tags
- XML and RDF support
- XPCom-based implementation permitting incremental upgrade of underlying systems