just wanted to inform that there has been
recent perf investigations on js/dom by
basic, petern and me.
nice testcases to illustrate the bugs and great
input from other guys ....
just see bugs
- harishd landed the changes in XML parsing architecture,
amazing improvements (and some bizarre slowdowns).
- nisheeth is back and will be working on perf/footprint
- Finished coding new security policy storage; working
- Read "Secrets and Lies" by Bruce Schneier, about security
- Landed expat changes ( bug 105137 ). Start up time dropped by ~6% and
memory bloat dropped by ~ 2MB. However, the page load and xul window performance
degraded by ~1% and ~2% respectively. Still investigating the problem (
- Landed fixes for
, 115262, 92618, 95487 ( branch ).
- Fixed regressions (
, 119038 , 119727), caused by the expat landing.
- Worked with danm and jgaunt to fix
- Did code reviews.
- Spent time working on bugscape
, problem with lowpriority timers not fireing properly in embedded apps on
Win98 and WinME.
- Worked on
, problems with iframes and display: none.
- Worked on
, speeding up the nsScriptNameSpaceManager lookup code.
- Wrote peer reviews.
- Finish up output rewrite. Reviews are almost done. Yay.
- Checked in a fix for nsVoidArray assertions in nsDocument.
- Tested patch to fix nsVoidArray assertion in Mac menu
- Updated patch for DOM Level 3 XPath to throw XPathExceptions.
- Various SOAP improvements
- Fixing security model WRT xpconnect
- Eliminating last traces of superceded security-related
- More discussion of the unsolved untrusted SOAP client
- Conversion and discussion of issues related to SOAP
property bag for decoding complex types.
- Code reviews for jst, harishd.
- Checked in fix for
, reset title when no XHTML title element.
- Was out sick on Tuesday and Wednesday, and not feeling
too hot on the other days either.
Plans for next week
- Keep working on caps rewrite, check in next week.
- Work on
- Work on P3P related issues.
- Triage bugs.
- Continue working on performance and bloat improvments.
- Focal review.
- Get output rewrite superreviewed and checked in.
- Finish Property Bag and make progress on other complex type issues.
- Work on type - subtype in all permutations -- what
to do with missing type descriptions, missing encoders - decoders, etc.
- Focal reviews.
- Fix 110544, setting comment node text is slow.
- Fixed a bunch of crashes.
- You can now tab into the message pane to access links and form elements.
This was one of the highest priority accessibility bugs in mail.
- Print Address Book and Print Address Book Card now work.
- Started investigating LDAP features.
- We now remember the last directory accesses for saving and attaching
- We've improved error reporting by displaying the server name in error
- Resolved as fixed
64 bugzilla bugs.
Performance and Footprint
- Look here for the performance page.
- Look here for current performance numbers.
- Seth fixed a reply performance regression where we were quoting
the entire message including attachments when we should have only been quoting
- Navin fixed some address book leaks when composing and sending messages.
This should fix some other address book leaks in quick search.
- Made it so we report which server an error occurred
- Made it so that the Save Image context menu displays the correct
- Fixed a subscribe crasher.
- Implemented address book print.
- Fixed addressbook card printing.
- Made it so we remember the last directory we used for attaching
- Made it so we remember the last directory we used for saving attachments.
- Helped drive the bug where addresses would disappear when scrolling.
- Fixed a crash when compacting local folders
- Fixed a crash when deleting a large number of messages.
- Made it so that menus that display folders sort to match the folder
- Fixed cross folder navigation so that it traverses folders in the
order they are shown in the folder pane.
- Helped fix one of the mail Tinderbox builds.
- Started researching and planning for LDAP over SSL feature.
- Made it so the dialog for setting the Mapi pref doesn't occur when
composing a message.
- Cleaned up some preferences code.
- Moved some properties files to the correct place.
- Made it so we flush the recycled compose window cache when switching
- Fixed a bug where Edit Message as New could corrupt binary attachments.
- Made it so that a recycled plaintext window displays the correct
- Made it so that a recycled compose window resizes itself correctly.
- Checked in fixed for making mime cache images in the memory cache.
- Fixed a problem where uploading messages to imap folders on servers
that don't support uidplus (like UW) caused the server to drop connections
and lose messages.
- Fixed a rare crash parsing mork files
- Continued working on IMAP folder privileges/sharing.
- Has a fix to add an icon to the Windows system tray when biff goes
- Fixed one of the mail Tinderbox builds.
- Made it so we use the correct identity when forwarding a message.
- Made it so Mail Security prefs persist when switching panels or
closing the Account Settings dialog.
- Corrected mnemonics for Compact Folder and Get Messages.
- Fixed xpinstall integration of mailnews MAPI feature now that MAPI
has landed on the trunk.
- Added keyboard shortcuts for Labels (you can use "1,", "2,", "3",
- Made it so the Stop button enables correctly.
- Made Labels sort correctly.
- Helped make 3 pane tabbing work correctly. You can now tab
into the message pane and access links and form elements.
- Made Select All in the message pane context menu work correctly.
- Started doing investigation for LDAP Replication
- Did some testing on MAPI
- Provided fixes for the 3 pane tabbing bugs mentioned above.
- Provided the original patch for the fix for corrupt binary attachments
- Stephen Walker
- Daniel (Layout Team)
- CSS WG conf call
- fixed and checked in:
- 77705 add CSS support to Composer (YAY !)
- 116393 Table properties dialog partially horked
- Worked on (all three waiting for reviews)
- 119164 remove obsolete xul elements and attributes from Composer
- 119447 [CSS] Composer should be able to unbold/unitalicize
- 118110 add a keyboard accelerator to select the parent element(s)
of the current selection
- EDITORBASE meeting
- Kin (Layout Team)
- Spent most of Monday trying to catch up on my 3 week backlog of
email and bug discussions. I still haven't gotten all the way through
it, so if you sent me something, while I was out, that needs my immediate
attention, please ping me.
- Worked with sfraser to track down the cause of the "can't type in
any text widgets on Mac" smoketest blocker on Tuesday.
- Lots of code reviews/superreviews.
- Helped cmanske and jfrancis debug a couple of problems they were
looking into. Also debugged several bugs reported via email/newsgroups.
- Thanks to jfrancis for setting up my mac with the new build environment.
- Sheriffed Thursday morning/afternoon.
- Attended EDITORBASE, Layout All-Hands, and CPD All-Hands meetings.
- Joe (Layout Team)
- caught up on mail, news, & bug triage from xmas vacation
- EDITORBASE meeting
- code reviews for cmanske and glazman
- began code review for akkana's Find patch (this will take a while)
- fixed and landed bugs 119053 , 92331 , and 101632
- Akkana (Composer Team)
- Found a fix for 112139 , hang in rewrap code; attached a patch, waiting for review.
- Reviewed some code for Charley, and worked a bit on debugging
108296 (the link checker FE, tied in with my bugs
- Updated the patch for bug
97157 (find performance) -- string APIs changed again.
- Participated in EDITORBASE meeting.
- Kathy (Composer Team)
- helped with several smoketest blocker bugs
- triaged some of the editorbase bug list; proposed some to be de-emphasized
- worked with Sujay to select his top-8 bugs from EDITORBASE list
- worked with Adam Lock to get his patch in shape for sr= from rpotts
(blocking my publishing work)
- removed about 1K worth of unused static variables
- Charley (Composer Team)
- 0.9.8 bugs checked in (most fixes done last week, week
Saving default directories for HTML and image files
Show correct text and background colors on toolbar
Fix list layout problems in Link and Spelling dialogs
Checkbox state for "Delete separator character" not saved in Create Table
Rearrange buttons in Spelling dialog
- 0.9.8 bugs fixed and checked in:
Make "Super" and "Sub" text styles mutually exclusive
Fixed layout in Advanced Edit dialog; in the process, fixed global menulist
CSS so it lines up better horizontally with other widgets when align="top"
10450 Move Composer-only menuitems into new composerOverlay
so IM and Mail don't include them.
- Ready to checkin 1st version of Link Checker dialog (
108296 ), so crash when exiting dialog can be explored by Akkana,
and also Neil Rashbrook's Form elements UI. The "Form" submenu for inserting
elements is exposed only in the Debug menu so we can test this more and
resolve any remaining problems. The tree was a mess on 1/8, so I didn't
get to checkin then. I was tempted to checkin on 1/9, but as I'm leaving
for vacation in late afternoon, I didn't think it wise to take the risk.
I'll check it in on 1/14 or 1/15 before 0.9.8 closes.
- Reviews for 0.9.8 deadline.
- Help out with any 0.9.8 blocker bugs.
- Triage the backlog of incoming Editor:Core bugs.
- Re-triage my milestoned bugs based on new incoming bugs.
- Help jfrancis with EDITORBASE bugs
- EDITORBASE bugs on Joe's plate
- finish Find patch review
- EDITORBASE work
- Hector potential reviewers mercilessly until I have r= on
97157 and sr= on it and
- Get a review for
112139 and get it in.
- check in save code (98550) and code removal (117927, 115115, 26384)
- work on publishing
- work with Adam on API changes he has proposed
- reduce total number of EDITORBASE bugs (if possible)
- Work on Publishing UI and 0.9.9 bugs.