maintained by Tim Rowley <email@example.com>
Last Updated Thursday September 13, 2001
This status update page is updated every
week. To get updates and news throughout the
week you are invited to check out mozillaZine
a site devoted to Mozilla advocacy.
Friends of the Tree
- I nominate Bernd Mielke (firstname.lastname@example.org) as a Friend of the Tree
for completely rewriting the
BugAThon page to get more people
concentrated on standards bug testcases. - Gervase Markham
- Spent some time helping Pavlov & Bryner add support for Intel's
linux compiler to the build system.
- Continued attempt of xptcall port for sparc64.
- Attempted to figure out why BeOS tinderbox is hanging on SIGTERM
rather than exiting. Currently, suspect timer thread is blocking
waiting for a semaphore in nsTimerBeOS code.
- Fixed bugs:
- 96993 - LDFLAGS ignored on solaris
- 97152 - Update packages list with smime->simestb name change
- 96997 - Escape ^ in nspr-config
- 97386 - Update REQUIRES to use proper jpeg,png,zlib,mng headers
- 96911 - app crash bringing up mailnews due to gcc opt issues
- Bugs checked in for others:
- 81353 - Add getter for mAlphaDepth to nsIImage
- Spent far too much time stuck on gcc 2.x >= -O2 optimization issues.
Specifically, bug 96911.
- Went hunting after reason for nearly the entire Ports page turning
orange Thursday night. Found xpcom crash on shutdown.
- I'd like to revisit the idea of upgrading our release compilers on
linux to a more recent version of gcc. There are some higher level
optimization issues that appear to be fixed in the gcc 3.x releases.
- While working on a minimal browser config (--disable-everything),
I once again discovered that we have non-removable extensions.
- Bug 93630 is currently in a no-win state. The bug is to remove
the What's Related feature until bug 53239, What's Related privacy
issue, is fixed. Matt made a last minute quick fix patch for bug
53239 but I cannot get anyone to signoff on it as it causes panels to
be deactivated when they are deselected by making them load
about:blank. This has the unfortunate side-effect of causing panels
to be reloaded from their various sources whenever they are
You ever run smoketests? You notice how long they take? You want it your
way, right away?
The smoketests are automated and up on komodo for the world to see. I
encourage all to check it out and give me any feedback.
Automate your smoketests today!
go to http://komodo.mozilla.org/ and click on "Smoketest Automation"
I'll be putting up the auto-installers pretty soon too.
- Fixed bugs:
- Bug 91840 - Worked with Pavlov on sparcv9 xptcall code. We have a
complete implementation now.
- Bug 53239 - Checked in matt's fix for the What's Related privacy
issue in time for 0.9.4
- Bug 98293 - Removed unused fullcircle build infrastructure from
(win32 & unix)
- Worked on:
- Bug 20860 - Tested various alternatives to current NS_PTR_TO_INT32
- Bug 98663 - Helped track down AIX compiler bustage due to string
literals inside of triconditional expressions
- Bug 97249 - Worked with Syd on tracking down installer
- Spent more time attempting to track down the beos hanging problem.
The timer manager thread never dies because it still has one repeating
bookmarks timer running. So, unless bookmarks are shutdown properly,
the thread (and therefore the app) won't exit correctly. The shutdown
appears to occur correctly in mozilla but not in viewer. But not in
either case on a SIGTERM (used by tinderbox scripts). I keep meaning
to file a bug on this (it's on my whiteboard!).
- Discussed the possibilty of splitting xpcom into a core (component
features) library and an auxillary library in m.xpcom thread "Freezing
- Spent most of the week and weekend working on bug 79935, LDAP error
feedback UI. It's turning out to be hairier than I had expected. I've already
got some errors showing up in the dropdown; now I'm working on error-string
handling in the LDAP XPCOM SDK itself as well as an exception format for
passing this info around.
- Reviewed leif's asynchronous DNS changes (bug 82412)
- Did a bunch of testing work to narrow down the introduction of a regression
to the autocomplete dropdown one day after I checked it in (bug 98642). Fortunately
, this regression was only on the trunk, not the branch.
- Cleaned up lots of stderr spewage from the mail compose window so that
I could tell if my changes were introducing new warnings (fortunately, they
weren't). I'll file a bug with the patches soon.
- Hammer away at 79935; re-triage remaining bugs.
- Fixed bug 96489: "insertCell method not returning cell object"
- Fixed bug 62613: "CSSStyleDeclaration doesn't support array access for
- Sent a patch for bug 74281 "inline style sheet's href is document url
(should be null)" but there's a controversy
- Sent a patch for bug 65486 "Document objects need a reference to their
window object", need r=/sr=
- Fixed bug 85448 "HTMLAnchorElement.text returns the first child node
- Sent initial patch for bug 83012 "Add comments to the DOM code", still
working on this.
- bug 9550: Implemented window.find() for 4xp, waiting for r=/sr=
- bug 80494: "Extra verical separator on personal toolbar": need a
- Worked with the website reorg team on the URI structure and other
points, advancing pretty well. Been thinking of a new design and
structure for the DOM part of the new site, to accomodate URI changes.
- Put up the latest "Mozilla DOM Hacking Guide" at
mozilla.org/docs/dom/mozilla/hacking.html, there are some errors but I
will correct them asap.
For next week:
- Website reorg
- Get patches reviewed and checked in
- University starts again next monday. Eeeeek!
- fixed bug 83526 "http should use fewer connections
per server per page"
- fixed bug 59016 "jpg don't display"
- fixed res/jar/file portion of bug 97528 "1200 urls
created on startup about:blank"
- triaged bugs
- reviewed digest auth patch
- reviewed iDNS patch
- Back from vacation, read thousands of emails from vacation.
- Triaged a lot of bugs.
- Took a couple days of vacation.
- Installed Linux 7.1 on HP Vectra Gagan "found" for
- Met with Vidur on Cache requirements for web applications.
- Closed bugs 88575, 91097.
- Investigating bug 97620 (crash in nkcache.dll in -turbo
- Landed nsServiceManager/nsComponentManager merge.
Thanks DP for all your help. 3% startup inprovement.
- XPCOM bug triaging
- Selecting required XPCOM API for freezing based on
- upgraded status to a new machine with 7.1 (not thru
yet-- still some issues to work out)
- finished all the reviews! yeah!
- xpcom ownership issues with mozilla.org.
Plans for next week
- investigate http pipelining solution
- fix more 0.9.5 bugs
- Move files from old HP Vectra (with bad disk controller)
to new HP Vectra.
- Attend iDNS meeting.
- Begin attending Performance meetings.
- hack away at xpcom API bugs - 98278.
- be virtual clayton for this week