- 6.1. What is IRC (Internet Relay Chat) and what is ChatZilla?
IRC is the original Internet chat network. For a general introduction to IRC, look in the Open Directory IRC Help section.
- 6.2. I've clicked on the
cZ; button and opened ChatZilla. What do I do now?
ChatZilla accepts the same standard commands as most IRC programs (/server, /join, /nick, etc). The ChatZilla home page has a list of FAQs for new users.
Some simple commands to get you started:
- Lists all available networks as clickable links.
- /server server-name
- Attach to a particular server. Or, just click on one of the network names
listed at the top of the ChatZilla window after
[INFO] Available networks are.
- /nick new-nick
- Change to a new nickname.
- List all channels open on the network.
- /join #channel
- Join a channel by using the #channel name.
- /me description of action
- Say that your nick is performing an action.
- /whois nick
- Information about a person on the server.
- /help command
- Help for a command.
- On its own, lists help for all commands.
There is also an extensive ChatZilla introduction on MozTips.