This is the homepage of the Mozilla Plugins project, where we've collected hyperlinks
to resources for plugin developers.
Last updated by Johnny Stenback on 11/17/2004
devedge.netscape.comwhich was recently taken offline by AOL. We're working on getting our hands on the content that was hosted on that site so that we can host it ourselves and link to it again. There is no current ETA for us getting the content, but we don't expect too much of a delay any more. For now, web.archive.org rescued us.
APIs and guides
- Cross-browser NPAPI extensions for plugin scriptability (NEW!)
- Netscape DevEdge Plugins Central
- mozdev.org's PluginDoc for end-users
- The Netscape Plugin API (NPAPI) documentation (that's been updated for Gecko but the old 4.x docs are here with Liveconnect)
- Documentation about Mozilla specific plugin scriptability (deprecated) can be found here and here
- How to make scriptable plugins in OSX for both CFM and Mach-O browsers
- Documentation on writing a plugin installer that recognizes Mozilla-based browsers for Windows.
- How to ensure that your plugin is always detected by Mozilla-based browsers that get installed after your plugin.
- The Plugin Identifier (PLID) Specification
- Using the XEmbed extension for plugins
Plugin samples in the tree
- The SDK sample source can be found in the mozilla.org plugins module or zipped up here for Win32 (zip includes buildable MSDEV 6 projects and the GeckoSDK from Mozilla 1.4b)
- Default (aka "Plugin downloader") Plugin (npnull) Source
- npruntime (new scriptability API) Sample Plugin Source - How-To for Visual Studio
- Active-X Control support inside Gecko plugin (npmozax) Source
- NPAPI Spy plugin Source
- Mac OSX MRJ Java Plugin Source (uses OJI and XPCOM instead of NPAPI)
- Threaded NPAPI plugin sample Source
- NPAPI tester plugin Source
- Tip: you can use cvs to checkout the latest tools and sdk samples:
cvs -d :pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvsroot co mozilla/modules/plugin/tools
- Daily build of GeckoSDK for
- The ActiveX control for hosting NPAPI plugins in ActiveX control containers such as Internet Explorer.
E-mail gateway: email@example.com (subscribe/unsubscribe)
Links to testcases
- mozilla.org QA Plugins testcases
- mozilla.org QA OJI testcases
- Plugins Verification Testing Checklist (including SmokeTesting) located here.
- UNCONFIRMED plugin bugs
- DUPLICATE plugin bugs
- FIXED plugin bugs
- OPEN plugin bugs
- Create a new plugin bug