Translation Glossary & References
Mozilla Localization Project Staff
MLP [Localization Project home] | [Localization docs] | [Translation references]
Glossary Files from previous releases
(contributed by Daniel McGowan)
Here is a list of glossary files from previous releases (including Communicator 4.x) for reference. Translation consistency and quality can be greatly improved if there are glossary files for reference.
These files are all tab delineated text files. They can be imported into and sorted/ordered in Excel or StarCalc (part of StarOffice - available in en, de, fr, it, es, nl, bp and sv).
More Glossaries and References materials
- Localization glossaries/resources
A couple of English -> Other language glossaries for various products:
- ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/msdn/newup/glossary/ Here you can find Microsoft's glossaries for various products (Windows, Office, Internet Explorer) and languages. Very useful ...
- ftp://ftp.ege.edu.tr/pub/Novell/updates/tresorce/gloss/ Here's some Novell glossaries. Not as big as the MS ones, but still useful.
- The official MacOS glossaries, available in 34 languages and several different formats: ftp://dev.apple.com/devworld/Tool_Chest/Localization_Tools/Apple_Intl_Glossaries
- General Linguistic References
Links collected on Search.Netscape directory:
- Globalization search.netscape.com>Computers>Software>Globalization
general linguistic references.
- Internationalization search.netscape.com>Computers>Software>Globalization>Internationalization
international users software enabling.
- Localization search.netscape.com>Computers>Software>Globalization>Localization
international users customization.
- Dictionaries search.netscape.com>Reference>Dictionaries
for all tastes and needs, online.
- Terminology related Language resources
- from Daniel McGowan
Here are some links that people might find useful when deciding how to handle technical terminology.
- EAFT - European Association for Terminology
- INFOTERM International Information Centre for Terminology
- Realiter: Pan-Latin Informtion Tecnology Terminology Dictionary.
A wide terminology base of cross linked terms in English, Catalan, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, and Romanian. Pages in Frech.
- European Language Resources Association
- Unión Latina: Terminology. Online magazine about Industrial and
Scientific Terminology in French, Spanish and Portuguese