XPCOM & Utils
- XPCOM (XP = cross platform)
- Component based architecture.
- Components are dynamically registered with a cross platform registry.
- Component retrieval is accomplished via do_CreateInstance() and do_GetService().
- Similar to COM, however, it does not support...
- DCOM-like cross-process proxying.
- Reference counting memory management model.
- nsISupports (functionally equivalent to IUnknown)
- QueryInterface(), AddRef(), Release()
- Utility/convenience classes
- nsA[C]String - root Mozilla abstract string class.
- nsCOMPtr is XPCOM's "smart pointer."