Firefox 1.5/2.0 CCK (Client Customization Kit) Wizard
Version 1.1 Release Notes
Version 1.1 of the CCK Wizard has been released.
It's now available from addons.mozilla.org:
This version adds support for Firefox 2.0. The changes made for Firefox 2.0 are:
- Add support for putting a separator in bookmarks
- Add support for reading OpenSearch files
Bugs can be reported here.
There is an FAQ page. If you have any questions or problems, please let me know and I can include them.
Please see the previous release notes for information on previous release changes.
Important trademark information
Note that trademark concerns only come into effect if you are distributing outside your organization or company.
A modification's trademark-acceptability is the same whether you use the CCK to make the modification or not. The CCK does not give a free pass, nor does it in any way encode what are and what are not allowed modifications.
You should consult the website to see what's acceptable and what's not.
The Firefox 1.5/2.0 CCK can be used to create an extension that customizes Firefox. It allows the following customizations:
- Add identifer to the user agent string
- Change the default home page and startup override home page
- Change the title bar text
- Change the animated logo
- Change the web page and tooltip used for the animated logo
- Add a help menu item that links to a web page
- Provide sites for which popups and XPInstalls are allowed by default
- Preinstall browser plug-ins
- Preinstall search engines
- Add folders, bookmarks and live bookmarks to the personal toolbar
- Add folders, bookmarks and live bookmarks to the bookmarks folder
- Set default preferences
- Lock preferences
- Add registry keys (Windows only)
- Add certificates (See NOTE below)
- Set default proxy configurations
- Package other XPIs with your distribution
IMPORTANT: ZIP.EXE MUST be available for the CCK to work. If it is not in your path, you can specify it in the CCK Wizard. Alternatively, you can install the MAF extension.
NOTE: If you add certificates to Firefox, you CANNOT ship a browser outside of your company or institution and call it Firefox. This feature is intended primarily for corporate and institutional users that will be deploying Firefox.
Once the CCK is installed, you will have a new menuitem in the Tools Menu called "CCK Wizard." This menuitem will invoke the wizard that walks you through the creation of an XPI file that can be used to customize Firefox 1.5/2.0.
If you want to make your CCK a part of the installer on Windows, check out "Putting the Firefox 1.5 CCK in a Windows Installer package."
If you want to make your CCK a part of the Firefox 2 installer, take a look at the Firefox Release Repackager. It is currently Mac only. We're working on that.
If you want to create an update site to update your CCK, check out this document.
The CCK is currently built as an extension, in the
extensions/cck/browser directory. To build it on the trunk,
add the line:
to the .mozconfig file.
This will cause the CCK Wizard to be available in your development builds. Note that the CCK Wizard is not a part of the Mozilla 1.8 Branch - you must build it on the trunk.