What’s new in Mozilla 1.4
The new release of Mozilla is better and faster.
The user interface has been polished for better accessibility
and to be native looking.
Many new features have also been added to enhance your Internet
experience. The following is a list of major feature updates to
Mozilla since version 1.0.
- A new spell checker is now included in Mozilla 1.4.1 .
- You can now show toolbars as text, icons, or both.
- You can now switch profiles dynamically while Mozilla is
- Mozilla now has distinct window icons for its different
- On Windows, Mozilla can now trigger dial-up network when
started without a connection
- On Linux, Mozilla now has full-screen mode.
- Hidden preferences: you can now change advanced
configurations not accessible from the Preferences dialog
about:config in the location bar.
- On Linux, the File Picker has improved filtering and a new
- On Mac OS, Mozilla now takes advantage of Quartz rendering.
- DHTML layout performance is improved
- The new Popup Manager allows you to block
those annoying pop-up windows on a per-site basis.
- The new Download Manager allows you to better
manage multiple downloads.
- Find as you type:
You can now search text or links in a Web page by typing
the search phrase directly into the browser window.
- Automatic Image Sizing: When you load a large image
into the browser window, Mozilla will resize it to fit the
browser window. Click on the image to toggle it between
full-size and auto-size.
- Helper application improvements: you can now change
how documents such as PDF and flash are handled
(e.g. if they are opened or saved to disk).
- You can now choose what to load on Navigator startup,
in new tab, and in new browser window independently.
- Search via the location bar now uses your default search engine.
- Autocomplete in the location bar has more intelligent completion.
- You can now set group of bookmarks as your homepage
- View selection source: context clicking on a selection now
lets you view the HTML source for the selected area.
- Page info displays more page information with improved
General and Media tab content.
- Bookmarks improvements: Bookmarks now include a root
level folder, the ability to have two differently named bookmarks
pointing at the same location, site icons in the Bookmark Manager
and Bookmarks Sidebar, quick search bar in Bookmark Manager, and
labels for separators.
- Mozilla now has smooth scrolling (disabled by default).
- On Windows, Mozilla now supports Back and Forward mouse buttons.
- XML prettyprinting, similar to Microsoft Internet
Explorer’s default-view for XML, is now available in Mozilla.
- MathML is now enabled on Macintosh
(it was already available on Windows and Linux).
- Bi-directional Arabic and Hebrew support is improved.
- Mozilla now has support for the display of XBM images.
Mozilla Messenger (Mail & Newsgroups) and Address book
Mozilla Messenger 1.4 is more useful, with its advanced junk
filtering system, customisable mail views, and improved
message filters. There following are some major improvements to
- Messenger now has a smart
junk mail control
that automatically filters out unwanted messages based on
your mail control history.
- You can now customize the mail views to view
messages that meet certain criteria e.g. messages
less than five-day old and from people you know.
- For added security and privacy, you can now
block images and plug-ins in mail messages.
You can also choose to view HTML mail messages as
- Filter has been greatly improved. You can now apply filters
to newsgroups. You can also run filters on downloaded mail.
Filter logging has also been implemented.
- You can now drag and drop from the message search results window.
- Palm sync for addressbook is now available for Windows users.
- On Windows you can now add multiple attachments to a mail
message via the Attach File dialog.
- You can now select and copy text from message headers.
- You can now quote the current message in a Mail compose
window with Quote Original under the options menu.
IMAP quota is now supported.
No Proxy for: now supports IP address wildcards
- yEnc decoding is now supported.
- You can now configure mail font display independent of
the browser setting.
- You can paste to Composer without formatting
- You can create a Table of Contents from the Insert menu
- Dynamic Image and Table Resizing: When you select an image
or place the caret inside a table, eight resizing handles
appear, allowing you to resize the image or table with mouse.
In the case of an image, the resizing is done real-time and a
translucent shadow of the image at its target size is shown
during resizing. A tooltip shows in real-time the
target size in pixels, and the relative change in pixels too.
development cycle. It now sports a palette of nine views
which can be rearranged within the main window or docked
in separate floating windows. It is also possible to create
- Chatzilla has improved tab completion and can now join
channels with Japanese names.