For the good of the code...|
You're about to download an NGLayout build. Although this software has been compiled and is "ready to go," it is meant for mozilla.org developers only. This is not a beta test. This is not an alpha test. This is the nightly build used by the NGLayout team, and is a reflection of the current state of the source code tree. It has not been "polished" or "verified" or anything else along these lines. Download it at your own risk!
Did we scare you away? We hope not!
These are debug builds, which means they have been compiled with lots of extra debugging information. This is useful to developers who want to run the application in a development environment with debugging tools. The downside to debug builds is their bloated size and slower performance. Additionally, running debug builds requires a few special library files that you won't find on your system unless you've installed a development environment like MSVC.
It would be a violation of the Microsoft license agreement for Visual C++ if we were to distribute these special debugging DLL's, which is why we cannot provide them here.
The Mozilla.Org build team is working hard to get "relase" builds available. Release builds don't have the debug information, so they're about 1/4 the size of debug builds, much faster, and they do not require any special debug DLL's. We expect to have the nightly NGLayout builds switched over to release builds later this week (today is 9 Nov 98).
The Big Idea
Here's why we're distributing binaries:
- You might like what you see, and get involved by contributing some code to our project
- You might find a bug and report it, or you might even check in some code to fix it
- You might like what you see, and decide to help make it better by fixing an open bug
- You might enjoy the great standards support that NGLayout offers, and file a bug on areas where we're not in synch with the relevant W3C specification
- You might enjoy all the cool capabilities that NGLayout offers, and perhaps be inspired to contribute some cool demo content for us to post here on mozilla.org
- You might want to post all sorts of questions about NGLayout to our newsgroup or find other ways to get involved with our community.
Ok, let's get on with it already ....